Monday 1 March 2010

Blanket Pattern

Awhile ago, my dear Annie asked me about a pattern which I've varied several times for a blanket. Being the oh-so-typical me, I haven't gotten around to it for a month. Eeps! Well, better late than never, I'm hoping, at least as concerns knit blankets!

Although the last time I made it, I made a large version, with about two pounds of yarn, that's not my typical approach. Nearly a year ago, I posted photos of the "normal" sized version.

So, now, I will give the normal size directions, and post the variation that I'm now working on and reasons about the differences.


Basic:
Materials needed: size 6 mm (10 US) needles, and about 400 grams of yarn.
Cast on 123 stitches.
Row One: Purl across.
Row Two: Knit one, (knit three, pass first of the group of three over the other two, yarn over) repeat part in parenthesis until two stitches remain, knit final two.
Row Three: Purl across.
Row Four: Knit two, (yarn over, knit three, pass first of the group of three over the other two) repeat part in parenthesis until one stitch remains, knit last stitch.
Repeat 1-4 until near the end of yarn. Then when you have completed a purl row, use the next row (rather than a 2 or 4) to bind off.


My favourite variation: (will be posting photos soon.)

It's the same as the one above, except that on Rows One and Three, you knit across, rather than purl.

I like this because, as you can see in the photos in the first link, the basic pattern is really flat and a bit thin. It's very pretty, but also the purl rows give a definite "front and back" to the blanket. I rather like reversibility. The variation gives a bit of thickness and added texture to the blanket, which I enjoy, as well as it keeps the edges from curling under as I'm working. It also creates a rather delightful ripple-like effect in the project.

If you want to try this, and have any questions as far as clarification about the pattern, please just ask and I'll try to explain better. Happy knitting!

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, it's beautiful. I still like the purple one better for some reason. ;) We must get together, SOON, want to come for dinner next week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall have to post photos of the purple one that I just completed. ^_^
    I'll call you here soon, I've got a lot of planning to do. :D But dinner sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...