Saturday 6 March 2010

M is for Mushy Movies...

Today, I had the luxury of waking up at seven in the morning. Curtesy of going to bed at nine thirty last night. Yeah, my body-clock is all messed up. I really don't know what's going on, but I'm certainly not going to be in bed by that time tonight. However, being as it was Saturday, I spent about an hour just praying and reading over a friend of mine's book of common prayer that she lent me last December.

By eight thirty, I stumbled out to greet the world, or rather, my grandparents. Gramma has pneumonia, and so we spent the morning watching cooking and travelling shows on the the telly. I guess today was "Carribbean" day, since all the shows seemed to have that theme. I guess I'm just odd, but if I'm to go somewhere nice and warm and sunny with beaches and such, I'd rather go to Australia or New Zealand. One of my fondest dreams is to take a vacation in the Gold Coast area of Australia, which I've been planning since I was about ten.

Around noon, I baked a double batch of cardamom biscuits; my grandfather is dutifully helping me get rid of them now. (It's such a hardship, apparently, I may have to make more at some point.) Then, Gramma and I started a movie marathon that has gone pretty much the rest of the day. Included was a terribly sappy and sweet movie which I fell in love with, starring Superman, but as a time travelling debonair... I'm still sighing over the sadness and silly wonderfulness that was Somewhere In Time. We watched The Man Who Knew Too Much right after, which was great because I've loved Que Sera, Sera for ages, and Doris Day is amazing in anything. Then we got to Madam X, which was so terribly sad that I hope to never see it again. Which is just to bad, because because it really was well done. I just hate sad movies that could end on a bittersweet, and slightly happy, note. And this one could have done just that. And it didn't, for which I cannot forgive it and therefore shall not watch again. After that was over, I made Gramma promise no more sad movies, so we watched Father Goose, which was complete with Cary Grant, as an uncharacteristically uncouth and rough boatman during WWII. I loved it. I won't spoil it, but really, you must watch it, and just bear with the main female being a stick for the first part. And now that you've had a run down of movies...

That's pretty much my day. Other than knitting (a skein and a half more added to the blanket) which I've slowed down on simply because I'll need something to do when I'm on the plane. And then, watching YouTube clips of said Sappy Movie Of The Day. :) Hopefully, this mushy mood passes soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm, the Gold Coast is nice. My grandparents lived there for many years and all my holidays and Christmases were down there throughout my childhood. But........ trust me, the Sunshine Coast is much nicer! Less touristy - much less touristy - and lovelier beaches, and mountain ranges with little village towns and markets and quaint shops, etc. Plus...... it's a lot closer to me! Of course, you could always visit both. :) xo

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...