Saturday 31 January 2009

WWJD and My Mother

So, maybe some of you have heard of the movement, WWJD: What Would Jesus Do.
Anyways, it had a good point years ago, but has been overused till it now seems to mean almost nothing. That's just a side note, explaining why WWJD isn't exactly a popular notion in our home. 

Also, those who know our family might be able to tell you that I like doing crafts. Knitting has recently become my favourite, but at various times I've done sewing, beading, crochetings, etc. I did not inherit a love for handicrafts from my mother. She doesn't do them because she can't stand doing stuff like that with her hands. In fact, she kinda hates the idea of knitting/crocheting/beading. Too small and painstaking maybe. 

This morning as I was finishing breakfast, Mum got out a packet of sponges so we could start on cleaning. Well, these were brand-new, and they smelled of chemical and were already moist, which was a little disconcerting. Then, when she got one of them wet and then wrang it out, the water came out blue. And sudsy. And we could tell that they had been treated with chemicals. 

She came and sat beside me, saying she needed to sit down before she told me anything. She then said that she wanted me to make her knit wash-clothes rather than use the sponges now. I have no problem with that, and have been meaning to make some for quite a while now. Then she came out with it: she asked me to teach her to knit one. 
Yes, I was in shock. Nothing like my dad though. 
Then she said "Well, even if I don't like it and end up giving up, I'd only be doing a WWJD thing."
Dad asked her how on earth her knitting and getting frustrated would be something that Jesus would do. 
"Easy... after all, Jesus freaked out and over turned tables. I can't have anything on Him."

Goodness, but doesn't it look like my knitting lessons are going to be fun?

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to be able to teach you Mum something- and to be able to have such a useful skill as knitting. :) Maybe Saraya will teach me to knit someday??? One can hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knitting relaxes me, so yes, it's doubly useful, and I'm working on showing her the knit stitch. Maybe Saraya will, it'd be very fun. If not, I do believe there are websites that offer video tutorials, and of course, there are tons of books. I'll be hoping for you!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...