Saturday 3 January 2009

Make Way for the Blind

So, today I was scheduled to have an eye-exam, after having broke my only good pair of glasses when I concussed myself two weeks ago. 
Once Theophilus dropped me off at the Optometrist's shoppe and left for coffee. All was well and good until I realized that I had to take off my old glasses which I could kinda see through and put on the display glasses. That didn't help me at all, because I had to get super-close to the mirrors to see what they looked like on me. 
Luckily, that only lasted about one trial, and the optometrist called me in. After asking what I could or could not see, he said that I should wait outside for a moment, and I tried on a few more pairs. This time, there was a woman with her daughter, and she advised me on which looked alright. Then I was called back in and he checked for the sensitivity of my eyes, or that's how he explained it to me. It was really just seeing how my eyes reacted to light. Apparently, they're more sensitive than they used to be. Yes, he so dilated my eyes that I had nearly no irises left. And it was so bright that I couldn't really see anything that well. We managed to get a pair of contacts in, and then he gave me a strip of UV-protected plastic to roll over my eyes to keep me from hurting my eyes. 
So, all afternoon, I felt like I was a blind person, and I certainly looked like one. And, at the coffee-shop, I was treated like one. The barista even read the sizes and names of things for me, though I had my order memorized. 
At least now, my eyes are nearly normal again. However, I am on instructions to wear sunglasses when I'm outside during the day. I wonder where Mum put her cane...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...