Tuesday 6 January 2009

In the Quiet at Home

Theophilus left yesterday for school again. I'm not as sad as I was in August, I know what the months will be like, and there is a certain style of comfort in certainity like that. Not that certainity has to be nice. At least I know what to expect.

But I'd forgotten how quiet the house is when he's not here. At least last time, we still had the children running about our feet. This time, there are just five little kittens who can't even walk that well. And it's still cold out, so that means that we're all staying indoors as much as possible. 

I find myself reading more and more now. Of course, that may be partially in thanks to all my lovely friends who sent me books for Christmas. And I've always enjoyed reading, but now, we have the perfect weather. I have the right clothes (sweaters and heavy woollen socks, anyone?) and tea and cocoa and books and blankets... and thus am safe and warm from the frozen world a few feet away, just beyond my icy window. When I get tired of reading, and such times do occur, I pick up my knitting until I feel drawn back to the book. Writing has also taken a good bit of time recently, though not as much as reading and knitting have. 

I would not choose to live like this all the time, quiet minutes stretching into hours that slowly go on to become days, but there is a certain peace and silent joy that comes from these frozen days spent reading in the quiet of the home. And we all need those times. After this Christmas and the fall before it, my family needs times like these.  It's good for getting through all my presents. And reading is very quiet, is it not? Nothing to disturb the silence that came in when my brother went out. And for right now, I like it. 

1 comment:

  1. This was beautiful--actually, I believe it may be my favorite work of yours. Yes, I know you probably wrote it in all of 20 minutes, but it's still my favorite. It reminds one of a still winter morning and everything covered in frost.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...