Friday 23 January 2009

I am my mother's daughter...

Okay, as many of my friends can tell you, my mother makes amazing soups. They are practically a food group. (My brother is a good spokesperson for mum's soups - along with many other of her meals.) 
Anyways, there is just one thing that my father often teases her about: her soups run out of broth. I don't care how much she puts in to begin the soup, she always runs out. One other thing is that usually, they start in small pots and grow till we've run out of pots. All throughout my childhood, I've grown up with Mum's soups and their broth-less, pot-conquering existence of yumminess.
As I made dinner, my boss had asked me to use up some of their canned food. Due to the chilly weather, I decided that soup was a good thing to have. After a long interpersonal debate between Nanny and Chef (aka, me and me) over whether to have chicken noodle soup or vegetable soup, veggies won out. And that was only because Chef pointed out to Nanny that there were simply not the right sort of noodles to add to the chicken soup to be found anywhere in the house. Ahem, anyways - enough on my Nanny/Chef bit.
I opened the can and dumped it into the small pot that my boss suggested for the eating size of the three kids. And oh man, did it ever look pathetic. I mean, watery broth with little limp pieces of what looked like something that had been vegetables in a former life. That simply wouldn't do...
In went a few carrots, some celery, some garlic, pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, parsley, some chives, diced tomatos, frozen (don't worry, I thawed it) corn, some chunks of chicken and just the tiniest hint of quite a few other seasonings. 
And my soup had grown. So out came a bigger pot. Really, it was all an accident that the soup was now twice the amount as from the can. Whoops... let's let it simmer a little now. That always helps. So down on low the burner went, and I stirred it occaisionally while watching Lil and Canyon playing with the dogs in the other room. After half an hour, I decided that it was plenty of simmering and probably time for the kids to eat. And that's when I found out I really am my mother's daughter.
I had no broth left. 
Of course, I added some after that and the kids loved it. (Canyon told me I'm his favourite souppest... whatever that means.) Even I had to admit, for being built off of a pathetic can of soup, it wasn't really that bad. 

So, I'm Mum's daughter in that I make soups that grow and have no broth to their name. 
Is it genetic, you think?

7 comments:

  1. Why is it that when you say "Nanny/Chef," I picture Gollum debating with himself? *coughcough* But, yeah, canned soup tends to be terminally pathetic. I'm almost certain that the stuff that supposedly comes out of the can on commercials has actually been prepared by someone's mom. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rivka: I don't do a Gollum voice when I argue with myself. More like an Irish/English accent, the Irish one is the Nanny, and the English the Chef. And Nanny is very practical, I'm afraid.
    Yes, those soups on the TV aren't the soups that actually come out of the can. Can soup is a nightmare. Good thing I cook like my mother - it got one kid actually interested in eating healthy food. ^_^

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a high 'n' mighty British lady accent. Because sometimes I need my subconscious to scold me a little.

    But oh that soup sounds good! After you doctored it, of course. I will try to remember to post the Watercress Soup recipe soon.

    Soups are really my favorite food. Whenever we go out to eat, if there's a choice between soup or salad, I get soup. I don't even care what's in it. Soup from scratch is just always . . . yum. It's the Despereaux in me, I guess.c

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you must share the recipe m'lady! I needs it!
    Soups are amazing, I love them. I agree, although salads are wonderful. If I had my way, I'd have both.
    After finally getting used to spelling and saying Jhaniel correctly without thinking "wait, did I get that right?" I'm not about to switch to calling you Despereaux. Sorry. Not happening.

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I only eat plain salads. Or Caesar. I have a weakness for Caesar.

    I'll post the recipe now.

    And yeah, I can now type Mythopoeia Jhaniel extremely quickly without mistake or anything. But it's taken awhile. I still have a few issues with Despereaux . . . Chiaroscuro is what really gets me though XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, that last one has defeated me. *slumps* I must admit to building salads. Having a salad with more than thirty toppings... then the next day having a salad of just lettuce and carrots. Caesar salads are pretty much amazing. :)

    ~L~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had to delete the original comment because of name safety, but here is my Gramma's note, slightly edited by me.


    Seeing as your mom is only my daughter by marriage I guess it's really not genetic, but [your father] comes from a long line of folks who like to chew their soup. I made minestrone last week and had to switch to a bigger pot and, yes, add more broth.
    Gramma

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...