Saturday 27 September 2008

When Creativity Strikes

Today, I had another 'creative' day in the kitchen. It was all because the Lutheran churches in our area were getting together for a music festival where all the donations would go to the local food shelter.
And our church was in charge of bringing deserts. Mum surmised that there wouldn't be many people from our church there and therefore we would have to bring a lot. (She was right - only two others came) Anyways, as the family was digging potatoes today, I was in charge of the baking. So I made my old standby: the cobbler. Only, we don't have any rhubarb left.
I improvised. Using crowberries and raspberries, which had been in our freezer for a while and needed to be used up. I wasn't expecting them to juice in the oven.
Which is exactly what happened. There was raspberry crowberry juice galore. Flowing over the side if the pan was touch. After suctioning out about five or so cups with the turkey baster, I finally got the levels down suffiecently. There was still a lot of juices left in the cobbler.
Then I had to decide what to do with the remaining juice... and a crazy idea to super-heat it and then mix in some sugar and can it came. And I did. So now I have a bottle of syrupy, cordial-like juice fermenting itself on my counter. I think I'll drink it tomorrow or sometime this week.
At least the cobbler was a hit at the festival... And I'll load pictures of my juice tomorrow when my brain returns from musical vacation!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the phrase "Musings under the trees"! Youare just so poetical and I love it. :)
    Your cobbler sounds amazing. Amazing!!! I love the way you use fresh berries to create things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um . . . crowberries? What're those?

    *ducks head embarrassedly*

    Sounds good, though . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saminda: Yes, I tend towards the poetical. And apparently everyone else thought it was amazing. Thanks! (I actually can't stand eating it myself.)
    Jhaniel: Crowmberries are a type of seedy blueberry. (No, as in containing seeds, not as in being from a bad part of town!) Don't worry, I'm not sure where they grow other than far north places like Alaska and Scandinavia. I should have explained that in the post...

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, okay. Sounds good.

    I was actually imagining them red for some reason . . . don't know why . . .

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...