Thursday 18 September 2008

A Quiet Day

Today was one of those wonderful quiet days. It seemed like I didn't do much of anything, but I enjoyed what I was doing while doing it. I meant to take pictures of the "ethereal tree" from earlier this summer, when it was all golden, but there was a terrific wind today and all the leaves have blown off. But it was sunny and clear for most of the day, and the skies were a lovely blue with very few clouds.

So after a while of reading and music, I lay in the sun, watching the wind toss the trees about. Dvorak's New World Symphony is the perfect soundtrack to my life right now. Then I prepped some cookie-dough, once again, a recipe calling for cardamom. The smell of crushed or cut cardamom is one of the best smells in the world.

Later, when the kids came home, they all went outside to eat peanuts on the deck. I joined them, wrapped up in an afghan and watched them from the curious perspective of the ground. Some of the best moments were the simplest: watching Belle's shoes prancing around my head, biking through crisp, golden leaves, scraping out the remaining cookie dough with my fingers, knitting in the wind...

These are the days that I love, and that make me so very happy and let me know that that there's no career I'd take over being a home-keeper.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that. Thankyou for this reminder- a reminder to slow down and soak up this good life we've been given. It is a joy to be a homemaker.
    I love this post! And I love your new Autumn blog look. Funny, we are celebrating the beginning of Spring here..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ' . . . knitting in the wind . . .'

    Those three words gave me shivers, I don't know why. But that phrase struck me as beautiful. Maybe I'll write a poem or something ;)

    Oh, and good luck with college, I'll be praying as always.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...