Tuesday 30 September 2008

A Mother's Gift


Go, little children, to the end of the garden
What is it that you see there?

Nothing, mother, only worn cobble-stones
Where it seemed the arch would end.

Come, little children, to the window
What is it that you see there?

Nothing, mother, only the swaying trees
Where lately the rain has fallen.

Come, little children, to my side
What is it that you see there?

Nothing, mother, only the copper flames
Where the felled trees are burning.

Come, little children, to the couch
What is it that you find there?

Something, mother, it is very wonderful
A device which will take us to uncharted places
And help us see with all the colours of the rainbow
With words scratched upon the all pages.
Was this what you sought to show us, mother,
Because we could not see it before?

Yes, little children, this is my gift to you
The gift of the blessings of ink-drawn words.



I couldn't think of anything special about today to post, and so decided to leave you with a poem. And then, surprise, I didn't like any of my poems which were on my computer. So I whipped this out in a few minutes after seeing this photo. Basically, one of the best gifts my mother gave me was encouraging my love of books and reading ever since I was little, which in turn made me into the writer I am.

Photo credits to Dad today.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely poem Laura! You are gifted.
    Tell me, how did your mother do this? I only ask because I wish to do the same for my kinder.
    We read lots and lots together; I wish I had time for more chapter-book reading with Saraya but with a new baby once again this has been hard. I guess it's a season, and she's still only 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous--both picture and poem. 'Ink-drawn words' (I think that's what you wrote) is so pretty. Oh, and I finished Inkdeath, but I won't tell you anything.
    Saminda, from my own experience I can just say be enthusiastic about books. Even if you don't have time to read with your child as much as you'd like to, just being enthusiastic about reading helps. When you do read with a kid, pick out a simple word (like 'the', for instance) and have the kid recognize it and read it aloud whenever you come across it in the book. And yeah, chapter-book reading can never come too early. Never underestimate a tot's ability to understand a book. Some books I vividly remember from when my parents read them to me when I was small: A Wrinkle in Time, The Hobbit, The Prydain Series, The Phantom Tollbooth. I'd also recommend 'Tale of Despereaux', which my three year old sister loved.
    Heh, hope my two-cent's worth isn't too long and incoherent! But I love reading, so I had a lot to say--even if the question wasn't directed to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Jhaniel pretty much said everything that I would have. We didn't have much money for books, but we went to the library, and we bought them at sales for dimes and nickels. Mum just read a lot, and would point out words with her finger and would let me sit on her lap. Never give up reading, maybe Saraya could even help you read to William!

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...