Monday 29 September 2008

Alaska's Mafia

It's dark now when I drive home on Mondays, around eight thirty or nine. Of course, we have to watch for moose along the road. I don't want to be in an accident with one. The moose would win.

Last spring, we started a joke with my friend Eddie that the moose were after him, after he reported having seen about ten on the way to a rehearsal. On that day, he rode home with my brother and I, and we saw about twenty four moose. I told them that he had angered the head-moose somehow. Incredulously, he asked me if there was some sort of Moose Mafia. So, being my typical self, I told him there was, and he was their prime target.

Tonight it must have been me. None of them stepped on to the road (thank you, God!) but I still slowed down and drove cautiously when they were near. It didn't help my nervousness that I saw twelve of them. In a fifteen minute drive, that's pretty amazing. Alaska's Mafia of Moose was out tonight, and it looks like I'm the one in trouble.

Got to wonder what I did, and who's the Godfather here?

7 comments:

  1. How amazing. I cannot imagine seeing moose by the side of the road!
    This post made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come now, Laura. You don't need to have done anything to be targeted by the Mafia, moose or otherwise. The typical excuse is that youse is horning in on their territory, but we all know that it's just an excuse. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beh. You know how it is with those moose--the grass probably told them that you'd said nasty things about their calves behind your back, and they're so stupid they'd believe anything...which just goes to prove that it's the grass you have to watch out for. Beware the grass of doooom...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which are, of course, in league with the gollum trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think hard, Laura. Have you been outdoors more than often lately? Did you PICK ANY FLOWERS, by any chance?

    Well, you'll have to send me some moose mafia pics before they catch you, okay? I've never seen a moose ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saminda: Do you have moose in Australia? What about deer? Well, just imagine a large, dangerous animal standing on the side of the road waiting to tap dance on your car, and you'll probably understand what I feel. :)

    Rivka: How can I be horning in on de territory when I don't even knows it's theirs? It's just a silly, but VERY moosish, excuse...

    Andy: Grass of DOOM and gollum trees? I think we need to get you out of Arizona. There's a nice college in NY that I could suggest. And I didn't say anything about calves. The grass is so touchy sometimes.

    Jhaniel: Haven't picked any flowers, and it's too cold to be outdoors much. I'll get some moose pictures for you. Might even have some on the computer, I'll see. Are you serious that you've never seen one?

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dead serious. The things you Alaskans take for granted . . . ;)

    I think I've seen a picture or two of a moose . . . but nope, not real life. They don't even have them in zoos where I live.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...