Monday 1 September 2008

My Governor

Yeah, my Governor rocks. That's right, I am a proud Alaskan, which includes the independent, out-of-the-box, unique streak that runs in almost everyone who lives up here. Which includes our Governor, Sarah Palin. I'm pretty sure most of you, even non-Americans, have heard about presidential hopeful McCain picking our state's leader.

Let's say that the announcement has everyone up here excited and talking. For the past several months, if you brought up politics, you were lucky if you only got rolled eyes. Some would tell you to shut up and not mention it again. But Sunday morning, you could hear whispers all over and the one distinguishable word was: Palin. Yeah, now everyone's talking about politics. And many people who were planning on staying home rather than voting because they didn't like McCain and Obama (nicknamed by many up here as "Obama Bin Ladin") scared them are now saying that they're planning to vote for McCain simply because he's running with Palin.

We like her up here, her approval ratings are amazing. I heard on the news that they are consistently in the eighties and occasionally into the nineties. Normally, I'm not into politics, and I don't talk about it, but this has gotten me interested in the coming elections, even though I'm still (by a month) too young to vote. Although I can't say I've ever met her, I have seen her once in my life, right before she became our governor. She was the commencement speaker at my friend Jennifer's homeschool graduation in 2006. I don't even remember who spoke at my graduation.

I have this to say to the rest of the country: Yep, my Governor pretty much rocks. It's about time that people remembered that Alaska is actually part of the US. And no- we are not off the coast of Baja. We're off by Canada. We're on the same continent. If you haven't heard, our Governor may be the future vice-president. Perhaps, even further off than that, she could be our president. Go Alaska, and go Palin!

5 comments:

  1. Heh, I was going to send you an email asking you for your reaction to the news about McCain's pick. But now I know :)

    Well, I'm glad it's making people in Alaska interested in voting for McCain! I can't vote yet meself (wow, that's horrible to miss by a month) but I'm hoping he wins. And in Hawaii, everyone's Democrat!

    I agree, it's good to finally have Alaska on the political map!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so cool! Its great to bring Alaska back into the political scene. She will make a wonderful Vice President, I'm sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's known as Obama bin Ladin here too! Along with Obamanation.
    Gram

    ReplyDelete
  4. The newest name for Obama is : Obama bin Biden. I like that one a lot.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have Any Idea how ignorant it sounds to refer to Obama as "Obama Bin Laden"??

    I'm afraid of Palin becoming anything but governor of Alaska, but I'm not going to make up some silly, racist name for her.

    Myra.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...