Tuesday 9 September 2008

Another Berry Day

On Sunday, we got a call from an elderly widow, Fern, whom I've known all my life. She and her husband planted a large garden years ago, and the raspberries have flourished on their own- now that she's too old to get out and take care of them. She asked me to come out whenever I had time and pick some of the raspberries for her. So this morning, I went over and she asked if I could get her about two gallons worth.

It was fun from the start: neither of us could find gallon or quart measures, so we ended up resorting to pint measures. Then I went out, and began picking them. It wasn't like working at all; the wind was blowing and the sun was playing hide-and-go-seek through the clouds. It seemed like it was no time at all before about three hours had passed.

I felt like I was a small child again. The bushes towered over my head in almost all the patch except the first few plants. To reach some of the berries, I crawled underneath where an aisle used to be and laid flat on the ground. Once, I got in an argument with a crazed magpie, but I ended up winning that. A few times, Fern was concerned because she couldn't see me, so she'd send her son - who'd dropped in for a while - to go look for me. Usually it was because I'd been engulfed by a large mass of berry-bushes.

For three wonderful hours, I got to be a little girl again. I got to pick large, ripe, delicious raspberries. I got to be outdoors in the beautiful Autumn weather. I got to be little Laura Jean again. How can I call that work?

Only once I got home did I realise that my hair resembled something akin to a very tangled briar bush. And my clothes were covered in brambles, and my lips and hands were red with the juice. But I think it was fair enough - I got to have a quiet, peaceful, restful three hours and Fern got just shy of two gallons. I missed by a pint.

Little Laura Jean wasn't so into math either.

2 comments:

  1. This was perhaps your most beautifully written post yet . . . I know how you felt, I think; it's so magical to slip back into being a kid again. I used to blackberry, but not anymore. There aren't any where I live now.

    I had fun today, though, running in the rain . . . and I still skip down long hallways ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree....... this was a beautifully written post. :) Like a novel.
    I've never been berry-picking but suddenly am longing to. 3 hours all alone, just me and the berry bushes, the sunshine and the wind and the fresh smell of the air around me...... YES PLEASE!!!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...