Tuesday 16 September 2008

I Do Not Need Counselling

Today, I ended up having to stay at the counselling office while Belle was in session whilst Mum took the other kids to Old-Town for Tink's sessions. I think the office ladies were bored.

I should mention that the last few days, I have had a desire to sit with my nose stuck in a book and ignore the doings in the rest of the world. Today was no different. Except - it was pouring buckets outside and that always makes me want to read more. So I was more than mildly obsessively reading in my Lewis book. The Four Loves, if you were wondering. It's an excellent book, and I'd highly suggest it. But, I digress.

A new lady checked in at the desk, relieving a woman who'd previously tried to talk to me about her sick puppy that she needed to go look in on (coincidentally causing her to call her husband to ask him to pick up their three-year-old who would have to stay longer at school because of the little pooch.) This lady tried a very different tactic. No asking how I'm doing, who I was waiting for, what I was reading and have I ever had a frightfully sick dog.

"Do you need help setting up an appointment for counselling?"

"No, I'm here waiting for my foster sister, she's the one who needed it." I buried my nose even farther in my book.

"How long have you been in care? Are you sure you don't need to see a councilor?"

Rolling my eyes at this lady, I set my book on my lap and looked directly at her. "I'm not the one in care, and I don't need to see a councilor. I don't have any problems."

"Are you sure of that? We could help face them and..." I couldn't believe my ears. "I really think you need to see someone."

"No. I'm fine really. I'll just sit here quietly until my sister's done." I stuck my nose back authoritatively in my book and she stopped. Somewhere, deep down inside, I felt like piping up : "Yes, I have a problem. I love books. I love reading. And when people bug me whilst I'm reading a book I like, I get angry/annoyed. It's very bothersome. But you see, it doesn't happen when people aren't bugging me, so I don't think I need counselling."

What do you think she'd have said then?

At least, for the rest of the time, she didn't try to talk to me. And finally, whenever I had to speak to someone behind the counter, I didn't have to deal with her. But honestly, why did she think I had problems? Do I ooze the personality of someone in dire need of psychological help?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's kinda creepy, isn't it? Maybe they are in need of clients?! :)
    Also, I love your new background ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's both incredible and horribly rude of her, but with your writing style injected into the situation it also is a bit ridiculous and funny. Wow. I liked your mental response to her--no pun intended!--I would have thought the same thing. Or 'I'm afraid I am not in need of help myself, but could I refer an acquaintence? She's a woman who goes around trying to scare people into accepting spurious psychiatric help, and seems to like interrupting good books to boot . . .'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok.

    O.O

    Now there is a lady trying to get a raise. Or is entirely too bored. I reccomend Myspace. Or putting her to work filing EOBs for us...>_>

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...