Saturday 19 July 2008

Tink's Views on Racism

My family isn't what you'd call racist. My Mum was disowned from her family because she lived in a black ghetto for a while, then she spent about four years in Asia. We've taken native Alaskan foster children and hosted exchange students from Europe and Asia. Some of my best friends are Chinese, half-Indian, or part Hawaiian and Japanese. (You know who you are!) All this would not generally bespeak a 'racist' family.
However, yesterday, my mother was accused, and thus the family with her, of being racist. I won't go into details here, but it left my whole family, especially Mum, very hurt. Tonight, we all got a little crazy at the dinner table, one thing being that we were all very tired after a busy week and another was all the pent up frustration. Well, we vented some of that through ranting in what would look like to anyone who didn't know us as absolute insanity.
After a while, I was down giving the girls their before-church bath, and the girls were happily drenching each other into drowned rats. Tink, for some reason, turned extremely red all up and down her arms.
"Why, Tink! You're a regular little red Injun!" Belle giggled.
In an attempt to stop things like that, (since if they repeat it anywhere, we'd be suspected of even more racism) I quickly said "Oh no, honeybunches, we don't call people titles like that."
"You mean, we don't say you're a white girl and I'm a red Injun?" Belle asked.
"That's right."
"I was told by somebody that we were blue-bloods. But we're more red than blue." Belle looked thoughtfully at her own arms.
"But it's not nice to give people labels like that, okay?" I hoped they'd drop the subject soon. That's when Tink expressed her views on racism.
"And that's because we're all PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

3 comments:

  1. How could anyone accuse your family of racism!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It beats me. But the funniest bit is that the lady who did this is married to a white man. And there are other confusing bits tied in with this issue, but right now, I'm just ignoring them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least i'm purple! ;)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...