Tuesday 1 July 2008

The Last Few Days

The last days of June were a bit a whirl, so I'll sumerise on the best, most memorable moments.

Saturday: I got up early in the morning, so early that it's not even nice to think about. Then at half past seven, our family, plus two, headed out to go to Eagle River for the Alaska Scottish Highland Games. See, Theophilus had invited one of his friends, who in turn brought his sister along. The van-ride up was rather slow, because the other girl was very sleepy, and Mum and Dad were in the front, and the boys in back were the only ones talking. I think they talked about almost any subject under the sun possible for that space of time. The most exciting thing for me was the twenty or so vintage cars that passed us. I wanted one.
The Games were fun, but not nearly as much as the previous ones. They didn't have a reenactment village. But we spent a lot of time wandering around, and watched some dancers too.
On the way home, we ate at Lucky Wishbone, which is a restaurant which was opened in the fifties, and still runs the same way. So the whole place was decorated in a late forties, early fifties style. I loved it. Oh, and the serving sizes were ginormous! I could barely finish!


Sunday: I spent most of the day out. The drive to Laughing Creek was pretty, but cold, like most of this summer's been. After I was done out there, I went to the coffee-shop and spent a while talking to my old violin teacher. Around two, I went over to Old-Towne to the playhouse. They had a drama camp, and it ended with them putting on a show set during World War II. It was amazing, and I cried quite often during it. I wish I had pictures to show you, but I don't.
When I got home, Namtan, my sister from Thailand, called us. It was her eighteenth birthday. I'm so pround of her, but I really really want her to come home. We talked about it, and she may come next summer!


Monday: A few days ago, we cleared a lot of trees, and yesterday we burnt a lot of them. Not me, because my back and head hurt immensely. But Theophilus was a regular axe-monkey. I just did laundry and cleaned the floors. We received a visit from an old friend, which was nice, and at another point during the day, Mum reconnected with a family she knew long before she married Dad. I think it was a day for renewing contacts. For the most, a pleasant, nice day. Although still cloudy and not very warm.

Today: It was hot and sunny! I think God decided to make up for the cloudy days at the end of the last month by starting this month very nicely. It was also my last piano lesson for the summer, and I was so distracted this morning that I went without eating breakfast. Let's just say that I was very hungry by the time I left the studio, and was really wanting the bank tellers to hurry up when I went in to cash my checks. Once I was home, I ate and wrote a little.
After the girls had their nap and woke up, we sat on the deck swing, in the full sun, and ate popsicles.



Oh the joys of simple living!

1 comment:

  1. Laura,

    So good to get an update on your life for the past few days....love ya! Skype me tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...