Thursday 12 June 2008

"True Freedom"

"Most sapient Mouthpiece of Aslan, The Tisroc (may-he-live-forever) is wholly of one mind with your lordship in this judicious plan."

"There! You see!" said the Ape. "It's all arranged. And all for you own good. We'll be able, with the money you earn, to make Narnia a country worth living in. There'll be oranges and bananas pouring in - and roads and big cities and schools and offices and whips and muzzles and saddles and cages and kennels and prisons - Oh, everything."

"But we don't want all those things," said an old Bear. "We want to be free. And we want to hear Aslan speak himself."

"Now don't you start arguing," said the Ape, "for it's a thing I won't stand. I'm a man: you're only a fat, stupid old Bear. What do you know about freedom? You think freedom means doing what you like. Well, you're wrong. That isn't true freedom. True freedom means doing what I tell you."
--C. S. Lewis, The Last Battle

1 comment:

  1. Aaah, I love this book. When I first read it when I was about eight, I was disappointed with it . . . but I gave it another go when I was thirteen and ever since have really liked it. So many intelligent observations and cleverness in that unique Lewis style. Dunno why you decided to put this particular passage up, but it is one of the ones I remember most clearly. (Haven't read LB in a while . . . SC, H&hB and VotDT are my faves.)

    -Jhaniel

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...