Tuesday 10 June 2008

Squirrel Nutkin

Yes, I love Beatrix Potter, and I'm especially proud of my collection of her charming little tales. The other day, actually when I was making my rhubarb cobbler, Mum called me out onto our deck to see this little fellow.

I had my glasses off, and could not see him unless I was looking through my camera: a convient excuse to take lots of pictures of him.

Harrison suggested putting a bomb in one of the pine cones he was nibbling on. But I am very against blowing up poor, unsuspecting creatures. And I have been reading the Chronicles of Narnia over again, so I'm not about to let him hurt any beast. I used to have a pet squirrel, of sorts, named Pippin. I believe he died last year, as I haven't seen him around. (He was mentally deranged, so that's why I could partially tame him. Well, tame for a wild little beast that's as nervous as squirrels are!) Because of my affinity for the Chronicles of Narnia, I'm calling this one Pattertwig. Adorable chap, isn't he?

4 comments:

  1. Aw, he's so cute! When I went to San Francisco once there were these enormous black squirrels at our hotel that would ambush you if you stepped outside and run around your feet and beg like puppies for treats. We had some trail mix, so we fed the squirrels and it was so cute! One of the little guys even followed us into our hotel room to look for more food.

    Yeah, I've got lots of squirrel stories, mostly from SF and England . . . I never named one, though. Pattertwig is one of my favorite Narnia names. Such a squirrel name!

    -Jhaniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Unfortunately, Theophilus and the boys are trying to kill Pattertwig. I'm not happy about that at all. But I do love squirrels. They are small up here, but so cute in their little, beady-eyed way. They have black, white, and gray squirrels at my grandparents, so I watched them all the time when I last visited. But my grandfather also tries to get rid of them, so I'm quite alone in my squirrel love, at least in my family.
    I find that I'm always naming things, even if they are wild animals, or even inanimate objects. (I named our van, and my violin, and so on.) Yes, I knew you'd catch onto his inspired name!

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually usually restrict myself to naming inanimate things. So my phone's Gawaine, my mom's coffee machine is Darth Vader (due to the noise it makes while it's brewing) and our rice cooker is Dante. Weird, I am.

    I'll have to send you some old pics of when we saw the black squirrels.

    -Jhaniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    He's adorable! I love furry friends! My beloved Bernardo is getting older, but is just as fuzzy and cute as ever! (Bernardo is a guinea pig, for those that read this - I am not talking about my boyfriend. ;)..)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...