Tuesday 3 June 2008

Flutterby!

I love studying English, and I love history: but the best is when I study the history of English. Several years ago, Mum bought me a series of lectures on DVD, and I devoured them. Altogether, I think I've watched them about eight times now. In these lectures, the professor tells about the origins of our language, and then he teaches about language change.
In the course of the lectures, he mentions how the word butterfly was actually flutterby, until the Norman invasion, where some of the letters were swapped. I, being a lover of butterflies, loved the idea of flutterby much better, and have tried to call them since. (Though it does bring quite a few raised eyebrows, let me tell you!)

About a month and a half ago, I was in the fabric store, and they had some lovely green cloth with large green polka-dots on it. But what I noticed were the bright green and pink flutterbyes all over it. As I was begging Mum to let me get it, I noticed there were words on it. Peering closer, I saw that the word Flutterby was scrawled across the cloth at random intervals. That clinched it and Mum let me get the cloth. On Sunday, I made it into a little summer top. Only, now the sun's become a stranger again, so I'm wearing a little white sweater beneath it. (And no, it came with the smocking already done... I don't have that much patience yet!)

It's much brighter in life, but this picture will hopefully show my love of green - and flutterbyes.

Ignore my hand, and just note the word...

I love bright flutterbyes! Even pink ones, green ones... any colour, really.

1 comment:

  1. How awesome! I call 'em flutterbys as well; learned it in England from my fourth grade teacher. But that's so neat that you found fabric that actually says it . . . and it's pretty, too. Very nice blouse.

    -Jhaniel

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...