Wednesday 18 June 2008

Postal Joys

It is sad for me to realise that it now becomes a special occasion when somebody - doesn't matter who - in the family actually recieves a personal letter in the mail. These days, it seems like it is almost always things to throw away: credit card offers, junk magazines, sales brouchers from companies that we don't buy from and aren't interested in, and the list goes on. Of course, during Christmas, everyone feels the duty to send the obligatory greetings, family newsletters, pictures, etc. In these, it seems like suddenly you hear from people for the first time since the Christmas before.

For years, I've wanted to write letters more regularly. I don't like the fact that December is the only month that one gets personal mail. So I've gathered together a few addresses, and last week sent out a packet of letters to several friends. And today, when most of the mail was immediately doomed to the waste basket, a personal letter came for me from a friend whom I shall call Maryanne. She decorated the envelope beautifully, and wrote messages on the back. The letter itself was delightful, and I immediately sat down and wrote a reply. Harrison asked what I was doing, and when I told him, he asked if it was a school assignment. After all, most kids seem to only write letters when their teachers tell them to. I know - I did this as a child too. They were to my Gramma. Most kids' letters are.

But now, I'm looking forward to writing my friends letters, and even if they choose to respond over email or phones, I'll still try to continue the practice of postal contact. Letter-writing is a dying art but it's one that I plan to do everything I can to save. It makes the day brighter when you recieve a letter, meant for you, and just for you. And the little kids think is a special treat and want to help dictate your next letter. (Yes, Kat, most of my last to you was Belle's ideas.) Of course, it might mean buying a fortune's worth of postage stamps, but there's always the joy of having something in the post to look forward to, a box of well-read and loved letters, and the comfort of settling down with a missive from a dear friend.

3 comments:

  1. I was surfing the web tonight and came across your blog. I enjoyed your comments on receiving a handwritten letter in the mail. It is one of the joys of life that is quickly vanishing. I remember decades ago when I was college the anticipation of going to my mailbox each day to see if I had a letter. After reading your entry I sat down this evening and hand wrote a two page letter to my oldest daughter who lives in Ukraine. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Laura,
    I'm glad to hear you've been rediscovering the joys of letterwriting. It's been one of the delights of my summer. "Give and it shall be given you" is a principle I've found quite applicable. If you write letters, letters shall be written you!

    Thanks for reading my blog and for popping in to comment on my recent post. I'll be back to see what you have to share, as you definitely sound like a kindred spirit. C.S. Lewis may well be my most-beloved writer and I always like to know what others think of his genius. :-)

    Blessings, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to comment earlier--this is one of my favorite Linden posts. So sincerely and enthusiastically written. I feel the same way about handwritten letters; I try to send as many as I can, and when I go to college I plan to write at least once every month to my family. Recently and on a whim I sent a letter to my great-aunt in Hawaii, and she called me on the phone a few days later to thank me. She was so excited to get a handwritten letter.

    Let's keep this humble art form alive, folks!

    -Jhaniel

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...