Friday 27 June 2008

A Beautiful Tradition

For a very long time now, I've wanted a hope chest. I think I was about six or seven when me and my friend Halleymarie first heard of them. We talked about it for ages, and asked, pleaded, begged and pestered our families for a hope chest.

A Pennslyvania Dutch/German hopechest. (Photo credits unknown)

About a year ago, or perhaps a little more, Halleymarie's family bought her a chest. Theophilus promised that he'd make me one. But that's never happened. I've finally given up the idea of the chest. So the other day, while at the store, I picked up a couple of dish-towels, and Mum gave me an extra set of candle-holders. My problem was still that I had no chest to put them in. So when I got home, I went into my room to find a place to store my hope chest items. And I saw those suitcases which Mum and Dad gave as a graduation present. I won't be using them for a while for traveling, and there are five, so I could easily spare one.

Another German design hopechest. I think this is so very Bavarian. I like it a lot. If ever I have enough money, and find a chest like this, I think I would very soon be owning it. At least if I had my way about it. Who could resist that beautiful designs and the delightful colours! (Photo credits unknown)

I find that, although not what I'd always imagined and wanted, using a suitcase as a hope chest works just as well as anything else. Of course, I'll have to worry about moths, but maybe soon, I can get an actual chest for my things. Since Sunday, I've also picked up some measuring cups. On Wednesday, Mum gave me a set of three stainless-steel mixing bowls. In accordance with our customs, she checked where they were made because we want to avoid Chinese things, and we were pleased to note that they were from India instead. Mum says that I need to not get things for myself so that others can give me presents. However, it seems that no one's thought of giving me anything of that sort before, and I think I'd better start getting my chest established.

3 comments:

  1. Hm, good idea! I've been more engrossed in my own 'virtual' hope chest--becoming more adept at cooking, and cleaning, and sewing and things. Haven't actually started buying anything yet. But on our rare trips to the stores which sell such items, I like browsing and imagining what I'd pick if I did buy something . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS--Those hope chests are gorgeous. Though I actually like the first one better :)

    -Jhaniel. Who also wrote the last comment, incidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I agree with Jhaniel, The hope chests are extremely beautiful, and I agree to that the first one is prettier than the seconed one. That would be cool if "Theophilus" made you one, it would make it all the more special and memorial.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...