Monday 20 April 2009

The Social Oddball...

The home-show went well... it was long, but I got to see a bunch of people! :) And that's always a good thing. Plus, I entertained myself with the thought that Theophilus will be home in 16 days.

Today, at the library, I realized that there was a bunch of bright light on my page. And so I started looking around. And then this amazing thing happened... I looked outside and saw this really shiny yellow thing up in the sky, which had changed colours. (It was blue! How strange!) Hm... would that be the sun, that thing they're always talking about in books, that which I remember seeing in New York and Indiana? And it was warm! Then, I noted that in my book, Christie described a blue sky.
Oh. I guess it's not that unusual.
And here I thought I was so special.
I guess I'll have to get used to warmth, sunshine, non-grey skies, and good weather. Weird. Hunh. Do they have any needs for rubber boots down there? I love rubber boots. And mud-puddles. Here's to hoping for break-up!!!

Then, when I'd finished my book, I checked it back in, and checked out another Agatha Christie (A Poirot this time, I think...) and a Simon and Garfunkel CD. The librarian, Jeanette, kinda looked at me with a half smile.
"So, how exactly do you fit Sounds of Silence, Agatha Christie, and Arabic Script books together?"
"Um... well... I like the first two. Sounds of Silence is nice to listen to, Agatha Christie is like mind-candy, and I need to learn Arabic letters..."
Terry interrupted, "Oh, you know, it's just that she's a home-schooler. She's just different. I don't think she's ever been anything but herself."
"Obviously, if she uses Agatha Christie for mind-candy."

Yes, dear readers... I apparently am myself, no one else, and somehow, being home schooled is a convenient excuse for my socially unusual tastes and behaviour.
At youth orchestra, I attempted to tell of these woes to the conductor, who's known me since I was five.
She laughed at me. "Those librarians don't know the half of your oddness! You've always been yourself, marching to the beat of your own piper (you didn't want a drummer)."
I guess pity isn't available to oddballs who have strange ideas about mind-candy reading.

Now, I'm going back to listening to the echoes of silence...

5 comments:

  1. Of course you are yourself. Who else would you be? And if you are unusual, what about your friends who are like you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Agatha Christie IS mind candy, no matter who you are. What do they think mind candy is, the Babysitter's Club!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, some people do act differently than their personality. It's really sad. And I guess my friends just have a high patience threashold. (I know that's not spelled right... but I can't think of how it goes...)

    Robin... I don't know. Tolstoy? Doestevsky? Austen? Maybe a bit of Beowulf and Tolkien thrown in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @librarian in post: Oh, please. I'm offended by the implication that we would be any less weird without having been homeschooled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just think though, our being homeschooled allowed us to develope our weirdness to new levels. Although, I'd still have been weird.

    And you were never anything but.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...