Friday 10 April 2009

Next Year in the New Jerusalem!

Last night, we had a Seder Meal (Passover) at our church. We have it every year, and as usual, I came home with a headache and didn't blog because of it. But, at the end of the meal, there is the benediction, and the "family" (the whole congregation) responds "Next year, in the New Jerusalem!!!"
While saying that line, I remembered the movie, Chariots of Fire, with the beautiful song, Jerusalem. Hm. Oh, and that reference book that I found at the library (don't look at me like that!) about London.
About how some people, mostly immigrant Jews, nicknamed London "the New Jerusalem". And how William Blake wrote that poem "And Did Those Feet In Ancient Times" about that, later to be set to music.
So, next year, I'm going to be remembering Holy Week in London. The "New Jerusalem." For me, that was just the coolest thought ever. I know, I'm a dork!

2 comments:

  1. Gaaaaaah, you are entitled to your gleefulness and gloating, so I won't say how stressed and nervous I am because of it ;) Seriously, though, if I don't manage to get to London somehow I will be distraught. *sigh* I put my trust in God; hopefully He will choose to let me go!

    And I have to say, I /loved/ the way your thoughts jumped connecting all those things: Chariots of Fire (love that film) and poetry and music and reality and etc . . . the sign of a great mind, being able to rope so many disparate things together in a sensical way.

    I enjoy participating in Seder meals! The bitter herbs are so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jhaniel- you MUST go!!! It'd be amazing to have you in London with me! *prays* I'm going to LONDON!!! WHOOT!

    Well, now you know a bit of how my mind is always joining the weirdest things together. Chariots of Fire is an old favourite- I read about Eric Liddell as a small child and adored the movie. The music is just amazing.
    And yay for another bitter herbs lover! Almost everyone at our church despises them.

    ~Linden

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...