Monday 6 October 2008

When I Woke Up This Morning

The third time I woke up this morning, I looked outside to see what seemed to be the equivalent of someone shaking an extra large bag of powdered sugar over the world. First instinct: go to bed and wake up next spring. Second instinct: pull covers over head and sing lalalala until I can ignore the stuff. Third instinct: I want coffee to make me warm.
I followed the third instinct. And then I remembered, I promised to take pictures of snow and post them up here. Oh yeah, and I had to work today so staying in bed wasn't going to do me much good.
Here's a view from our front windows towards the road.
Out on our deck, and you can see the flowers which we rescued from a cold death a few days ago.
I think you can see the snowflakes a bit better in this picture.
Yes, Alaskans are hardy folk. We paint our toes up pretty and then run outside to take pictures of our bare feet in the snow. Don't tell the kids I did this, it hard enough as is to get them to put on their shoes. Oh, and this is obviously on our deck, in a portion that got minimal snow.
After that picture, I ran inside, got wool socks on and drank another cup of coffee. Oh the bliss... and now I have to venture forth into the snowy world for another full Monday of doing everything under the cold clouds. Fare thee well as I go on to freeze!

-Laura

5 comments:

  1. Well, looking at those gorgeous pictures I can hardly bring myself to understand why you didn't list option No. 4: go outside and romp! But I suppose since it's very warm here, and the snow and forest you depicted looks so lovely, it's easier for me to imagine doing it than you actually doing it. Heh.

    Thank you very much for the pictures, the one of all the snowflakes against the trees was beautiful. I'll send you some pics today, 'K? You can paste them on your windows to hide all the snow if you like ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Chelsea: first rule of winter is, if there's snow, romp! Ha ha, maybe it's the wolf in me...

    Though I expect you're so accustomed to all that glorious snow, Laura, that it's nothing TOO special. ;) Lucky thou.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, these photos are simply beautiful. I'm sure it's freezing, but I hope you know how blessed you are to live surrounded by such beauty! It would be a constant inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh, I heard you had been snowed upon Loralin! It's so pretty. ^-^ I can see snow on Mt. Lassen from where I am... but nothing like that. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jhaniel: how much am I supposed to romp in about an inch and a half of snow? Now that there's more, I can romp all I want.

    Yossi: Yes, I am accustomed to snow, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to enjoy it. In fact, on my way from my church to the car, I swirled around with my tongue sticking out and laughing as my head got crowned with snowflakes.

    Saminda: This snow actually melted, so it was really ugly and muddy out... so last night I prayed that there would be more snow to cover the muck. This morning, we had about two more inches. During church, another inch and a half fell. I am so happy because it's so pretty when the snow is falling!

    Gwynhyfar: Then you shall have to come and visit me! Mt. Lassen at least can remind you of the snows of Alaska. And just think, in February, we'll still be freezing, and you won't be...

    Cheers to you all!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...