Saturday 4 October 2008

Wait, Was That...

I'm never going to forgive myself for being stupid today. Well, at least that's how I feel about it, and I'm pretty sure that Jess and Jhaniel, and probably Andy, are going to agree with me. I was DENSE.
So, after having theory at my piano teacher's house, I was fully intending to spend about half an hour at the beach which is five minutes from her house. The inlet was grey, and it just felt like the northerns seas of Middle-Earth. Ahem, I should mention that I was reading Children of Hurin last night and today.
As I was going down the road, listening to Christopher Lee's voice on my iPod, (Yes, mum, only one piece was in and it was really low!) my phone started ringing. Well, she and the kids had gone to Halleymarie's house for the day to make doughnuts. And wouldn't I please pick up some milk at the store on the way home? Oh, and just as the conversation was drawing to a close, Laura (Halleymarie's Mum) invited me over. As it was kinda cold and looked like snow, I decided that maybe I might enjoy hot doughnuts more than sitting on a log or in my car at a grey, northern beach. That was probably my first mistake. "Okay! I'll be there soon, I'll just snap a couple pictures and then zip on over." Suddenly, my leisure half-hour was going to be just a quick jump out of the car and then back in!
And boy, was it cold! But it was beautiful too, and others agreed with me, judging by the six other vehicles parked there.
"Are you a photographer?" a deep, English sounding voice asked. I looked up to see a really tall, older gentleman looking curiously at me. Something seemed familiar, but my brain didn't register. He was just another tourist, wearing a long black jacket and a scarf because they know better than we do about bundling up when it is cold.
"No, I just like taking pictures."
"Are you going to study it further?"
I'm not used to tourists asking me these questions. Things like what I ride to school (moose or caribou) is more normal. "No, I'm more into music and writing, so it's piano and English for me."
"Are you a typical teenage writer, full of angst about misunderstandings?" He seemed to have a smile on his face.
"I'd like to think not. See, I prefer to try to writing like Tolkien." I patted my bookbag where Children of Hurin was safe and dry.
"Tolkien?" He smiled. "He's a really good writer."
"I know." I grinned, shaking my head. After snapping a few more pictures, we said goodbye and he wished me luck with music and writing.
So I was going down the road again, and I was once again tuned in with The Tolkien Ensemble. And then it hit me. A awhile ago, I'd read on a Christopher Lee website that he had always wanted to go to the Kenai, at a time when there wouldn't be many other tourists.

That man was the right height, the right age, the right voice, the right appearance to be: Christopher Lee.

I don't think I've ever done a three-point turn quite that fast before. When I got back, three of the cars had gone. So was the old man. I ran around to all the other people out there, asking if they knew who the old man was. Let's say I got some really strange stares. No one had any idea. One lady just shook her head and said that I was the only one she'd seen him talk to.
So I might have met Christopher Lee today. One of my favourite actors of ALL TIME, and I don't even recognize him when I meet him. I could have broke my steering wheel from banging my head on it so many times. If it wasn't him, then it was his dead look-alike.
Of course, when I got home this evening, I checked and rumour on one of his websites says that he is in Alaska right now. Another one says he isn't, but they also say that they will protect his privacy and won't disclose his location unless he's doing an offical public meeting or something.

I could have had him sign my copy of Children of Hurin. How stupid could I have been? And I was flipping listening to him on my iPod!!! Argh... I think I need to drink more tea... and cry myself to sleep.

7 comments:

  1. Gooooosh.

    That's somehow really exciting and really sad all at the same time. But I hope that it was he, even if you didn't realize it then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

    Ohmigosh, yes, you are dead. I'm going to call you today and talk with you about this, because . . . wow. I hope it was him. Even if that's really sad for you. But I hope it was. Wowie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Noooooooooo!!!!!!
    How devastating to go back and find him gone. :( Wow...... this will always be, I suppose, one of those mysteriously memorable moments in your life. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad and exciting, yes that is the best way to describe it. And Jhaniel, if I ever meet him again, I'll get his autograph for you, okay?
    My head hurts... but I think I'll still remember this as my monument to my own stupidity. Wonderful. Thanks everyone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohmygoodnessWOW! O.O Now there's a tale to tell your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin and Jenn: Yeah. I know. I will tell my children and grandchildren and they will just look at me strangely and say "Who's that?"

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...