Saturday 24 May 2008

You Are In Cranford Now

PBS has been showing Masterpiece Theater's Cranford recently, and being a hopeless daydreamer, I fell in love with the show. Tuesday, before graduation, Dad stopped at the bookstore and found me the series on DVD. So the past few days, between cleaning and photo albums, I've been watching snippets of it on my computer.

Then last night, my Gramma revealed that she'd never watched it before, and so I'd finally beaten her to a period drama. So I began it all over again, and we watched about half of it last night, until nearly midnight when she decided it was high-time to go to bed.

The series has wonderful quotes and highly amusing portrayals of the lives of various inhabitants of the town of Cranford. Now some of the ladies annoy me with their silliness or Mrs. Bennett-like behaviour, but others have quite won their ways into my heart. I find myself wrapped up in the intricate, confusing lives of the spinster ladies (who have too much time on their hands!) and the men whom they confuse, especially poor Doctor Harrison.

One of their dresses would make a lovely present, but I know that I haven't the time to make one. And I don't know Kat or Jhaniel's sizes, and I doubt they'd really wish to wear one, but if I could, I would still make them one. (Hint to Kat or Jhaniel: if you do like them, send me your sizes and perhaps I'll find a way to make you one!) Mum complains that I'm talking like them, and I am daydreaming of writing lengthy letters, drinking tea and visiting the way Miss Matty and Mary Smith do. And I'm wishing that I was like Jessie Brown, with that lovely Scotch officer always waiting for her...

But instead, I'm just an American teenager who's preparing for a graduation party who is surrounded by jean-clad girls and not so great tea. Oh well, perhaps one day I'll hear someone like Miss Deborah Jenkyns say: "You are in Cranford now." Of course, photo credits to those who made the show, not me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...