Wednesday 28 May 2008

The Graduation Party

It's the only sort of party that I've ever hosted aside from the birthday kind, and I didn't even host it by myself, as I would have been lost without Mum and Gramma. Although the days before were stressful, because we had no idea how many people were coming, the day was actually fairly easy and non-problematic. Several good friends stayed for quite some time, and others only stayed for a little while, but I enjoyed them all. Jenn stayed from the first few minutes until the next morning, being the longest except for my grandparents.
The food took three days or so to prepare, and only a day to disappear. Of course, we have a little left over, like meats, cheeses, and vegetables. But the macaroni, which grew beyond Mum's intentions, was soon gone, much to my sadness as I'd been looking forward to macaroni salad lunches for a least four days. The potato salad fared much the same, and I managed to get a friend's brother to take a large bowl of cookies away with him.
Sue and Jack, two lovely musicians whom I know very well, came over and some others brought instruments, so we began to have a folk-jam. Sue is probably one of the best country and bluegrass fiddlers I've ever met, and Jack is equally good on his guitar; but I am the Celtic fiddler around here, and so we've agreed that if I teach them Celtic, they'll show me bluegrass styles. We played a mix of Celtic, country, bluegrass, hymns and classical and jazz. Not too bad for a few musicians and most of them teenagers. (We even had a harmonica going! And a few classical singers thrown in with the folk singers wasn't too bad either.)
Although I got really silly for an hour or so, and was teasing dear Theophilus and his friends, for most of the day I dealt with the numbers of visitors quite well. Generally, I am not fond of large parties and crowds at all, and am tired, grouchy, and hermitile for days afterwards. But Jenn kept me company all day, and gave me a lovely wrap and notebook; Gretel gave me chocolate, as did my German teacher, and so I got through the day rather splendidly. And then, after everyone else, including Leah, had left, Jenn and I went down to my room with ginger ale and a bucket of cookies and watched most of Cranford together. However, we didn't watch the last bit of it, and so she'll have to come over again... and Leah and Lana, Halleymarie and any other of my friends who love such things.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, it looks like a great party! Wish I could have been there! Congrats again on graduation, milady. I probably won't have much of a party for mine, but whatever does happen, I'll take pics to send.

    -Jhaniel

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...