Tuesday 20 May 2008

Mum's Birthday

Sunday was Mum's birthday, and she's officially seen fifty years. Well, I was thinking about the difference that half of a century's made, and it was really inspiring. I know she'd probably not enjoy me mentioning her age, but I can't help thinking that it should be seen as wonderful, not embarrassing or horrible, that she's lived half a century. Now my family's not much into cakes; yet ask anyone who has lived in our home for any given period of time since I was about eight, and he can tell you that if there's something I'm good at, it's baking. Cookies, pies, brownies, cobblers, name it and I can probably make it. So Mum requested this pan of brownies, and when I looked at the recipe, I was shocked at how little chocolate it called for. So I doubled it. Let's just say that it was the most chocolaty thing I've ever eaten other than plain chocolate itself.

I also wanted to share with you some thing which was published on May 19th, 1958. Just to show you what was being read the day after my dear Mum was born.


Doesn't he look young there? Well, my Mum was a cute baby, but I don't think she'd like me to share any pictures of herself, now or then. Perhaps one day...

2 comments:

  1. Give your mum a Happy Birthday from me, okay?

    Cheers,

    Jhaniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the horribly brief comment on the 22nd, but I was literally seconds from having to dash out the door to class . . . And I don't have time to comment intelligently now either.

    Except kudos to you for doubling the chocolate! :D

    -Jhaniel

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...