Saturday 17 May 2008

Bring on the Warriors

Harrison and Lance came to visit over the weekend, and so Theophilus and I were left alone at home while Mum picked them up. Well, Theophilus, as you may know, is always good for having his computer running, Internet connected, tabs aplenty, and at least three research topics buzzing in his brain. While I was working on my knitting project, (a subject for another post), he called me over to see some videos that he'd been linked to while researching orthodoxy. I don't remember how he got onto that in the first place, but I'm willing to guess he doesn't either.

Several years ago, I was reading about Jason and the Argonauts, and fell in love with mythology. I watched and read everything that I could get my hands on and my parents would allow. I stumbled across a theory of the golden fleece, and thus Medea, being from Georgia. Now the only Georgia I'd ever heard of at that point (being just a third grader) was a state down south that most likely suffered from cockroaches. Being me, I did some research in one of the old encyclopedias and soon decided that I wanted to go to Georgia. Later on, Theophilus was kind enough to burst my bubble and tell me that I wouldn't be able to go, since it was half-way across the world and hard to get a visitors' visa. So I moved on with my little third grade life, but never quite forgot the interest I had in that country.

And what did Theophilus have for me to see on his computer? Nothing other than some traditional Georgian dances, songs and legends. And so following those, we were linked to some videos of Georgian martial arts training. I was won over by their immense skills and fighting abilities. Trust me, those guys were tough!

Then Mum came home, and the two boys had to watch the videos with us again. Lance decided that he wanted to be able to use a quarter-staff like they did, and Harrison said he was going to have one of their training knives. I'm not sure which part Theophilus liked best. I certainly liked everything (including the guys doing it!). But Mum came and sent all the boys outside, and I returned, rather preoccupied, to my knitting.

A while later, I heard from them that they had been playing that they were Georgian Warriors. Perhaps it was just Theophilus' way of showing them how to javelin properly, or sling stones, or block blows, or wrestle and thus defend yourself. But I say, if it takes being Georgian, I'm going to dream of going to Georgia again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...