Tuesday 4 November 2008

Where Cool Was Born

Early this morning, on our way to the first college we visited, I saw a sign for another small town nearby. It proclaimed itself as:
"The birth-place of cool: The town that gave America James Dean.
And Garfield too."

Well, Fairmount can keep Jimmy (I once wrote a six page report on how he and a few other stars began the modern myth of the American teen; I am not a fan of his.) for all that I care.
But, thanks Fairmount, for Garfield. You've made up to me for the other bit.

Actually, I should add what our driver said: "The birth-place of cool, Which left as soon as He got a car."
One more note, I never realized exactly how flat Indiana is. Rolling plains is right about the plains, but I'm still looking for the rolling.

2 comments:

  1. I like your driver's style.

    Perhaps they can change the sign to say: 'The place cool dumped for cooler places'. THAT is sure to get more tourists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indiana? Wow. Any chance that you'll be visiting colleges in PA?

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...