Friday 28 November 2008

Black Friday, Coffee-Shops, and Bach

Could you say I have an interesting mix to talk about today? Well, maybe they're not so interesting to you, but they certainly made my day different.
A few days ago, a friend asked me to go Black Friday shopping with her. I told her I'd probably go, and so, every day since, she has reminded me that I was going to get up early this morning and go shopping with her at five in the morning. Of course, I warned her that most likely, I'd sleep through my alarm and it'd do no good.
However, at three thirty, my alarm went off and I did wake up. Rather grudgingly, I got dressed and carefully made sure that I didn't have that much money with me so that I wouldn't be tempted to spend too much. Then I quietly made my way upstairs and had breakfast and a little bit of coffee. I got the car started and then I was on my way.
I got to Freddy's at about fifteen till five, and it was a little chilly out. Kels hadn't made it yet, but she called to say that she would meet me inside. At five, they opened the doors and pandemonium broke loose. People were pushing and jostling and trying to get in before everyone else, which really just slowed everything down.
It didn't really take me that long to find what I wanted, and so Kels and Kirs (another friend) and I just walked around the store admiring things and trying not to be squashed to death. After an hour, we braved the check-out lines and I got out with paying only fifty. (Yes, I did put one thing back because they'd miss-marked it but really, I still count myself as having shown some remarkable restraint. You know those orange, lime and pink socks with grinning Grinch-goblins and Santa hats and Cheshire cats were tempting me so badly... and yes, I am referring to all of that packed on just one pair of socks)
When I came home, I checked my email and then dropped off to sleep. After all... it was seven by that point and I'd been up for three and a half hours when I would have normally been resting.
At six, I left again, this time headed for Kaladi's because my violin teacher was playing there tonight and had invited me to play for half an hour with her. I was a little nervous, but I think my excitement at getting to play there formally was greater.
She and I talked for a little bit, and then she began the night with some Christmas carols. One of the regulars there asked why I had a violin with me, and then she told me to come up and join her. I was pretty sure that I was going to completely ruin the pieces.
But wonders never cease. I did alright. So, I missed a few beats on the first bit, but for the two remaining sonatas, we were flawless. I was surprised with how many people told me afterwards how impressed they were with my playing. Even the barista, who's heard me play a little before informally, told me that he was really shocked when I started because he'd never paid much attention to my music before.
After most of the evening had passed, Emily - my teacher - started playing some Bach. It made me feel very happy, because I seldom get to hear Back performed. It seemed like it was just her and I; everyone else was talking and laughing between us, but they were worlds and eras away from me and her music. And I think she knew, or at least suspected.
Bach makes everything better. I think his music helps light up the dark times. And when I'm feeling discouraged or worried, it's his music that I turn to for comfort. I was sad when she stopped playing, but it made my car ride home much nicer.
Now, as it's late, I'm going to go to bed and attempt to stop pondering about shopping, coffee and Bach. (Although, in my mind, the last two are irrevocably linked...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...