Friday 1 January 2010

In Pursuit of Joy

Last night, I didn't celebrate like many people. It was a quiet evening.
I wrote letters, practiced my handwriting (it's amazing what a nice nib inspires me to do....) and listened to Indian music.
Then I turned to Ann's blog. Her post about this new year being a "yes" year challenged me.
I sat back, and said to God: "Okay, God, what do you want me to look for in the new year?"
I was hoping that He'd answer with a "And here's the exact order, with a complete 365 step list for you to do...."
God seldom does that, it seems. I sat there, waiting, and nothing came clear to me. Then one of my friends called me. We talked about stories and writing and our hopes for the next year.
"You know, it's amazing, how little people actually have joy. They have excitement, they have pleasure, even happiness; but always because of something that happened. Not too many people have joy just because."
"Oh, now I could get started on C.S. Lewis and that could be a long conversation." I really can talk someone to death about C.S. Lewis.
"Well, you know what could be interesting? Resolving to be joyful... trying to find joy in little things, and give it to others."

Right about then, I knew what I needed to make my focus in following God this year.
Joy.

4 comments:

  1. AHHHHH!!! I LOVE Ann's blog too. Glad you found her! Are you going to take her "joy elixir"? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right. I think that should be everyone's resolution.
    I love you so much, Linden! You're one of the most amazing, strong, encouraging people that I've ever met. *huggles*

    ~ Hannah Page/The Authoress/Iggy ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I read Ann's post early this morning, and was challenaged also to say YES, even in the middle of the night. Bring on the hurting kids God, who need resuced and restored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mama-Annie- I've been a fan of hers for a little over a year now, I didn't know you knew her blog too! And yes, I am. :)

    Henna! I miss you so much, and I love you too! Right back at you. :) And you bring so much joy to everyone. <3

    Amah: May you have the year of acceptance and peace. I know you need it.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...