Wednesday 27 January 2010

Speechless

So, last night, I left work feeling oddly. I was extremely sore, my stomach was killing me and my head was pounding. I'd coughed so hard that my throat felt like sandpaper. After making some lovely spiced something or another (milk, black tea and spices were added, but it wasn't quite really chai - whatever it was, it was the concoction of my befuddled brain.) I went to sleep.
When I woke up this morning, the stomach had slightly calmed down and the soreness wasn't as bad. However, when I went to say something to a floor-mate, I realised something.
I was speechless.
Exactly. I cannot talk right now. I've been trying all morning, and all I could get at times was a whisper, and sometimes, not even that would come.
Imagine me in class, the only one with an answer to a question posed by the teacher. I had to scribble it down on paper and hand it up to her. Then she asked how I knew the answer as it wasn't in the text. More scribbling. Everyone asking me what the problem is. I don't know what's causing this. All I know to do when they ask is hold my throat and shake my head. It gets the point across. The dreadful bit?
I have a speech class in which I must give a speech tomorrow. I've emailed the professor to see if he can't move me to the following Tuesday, just so that I don't have any anxiety about whether my voice shall return from vacation. And, on top of all that, I'm supposed to work three hours tomorrow night, calling people. I don't know if that's going to happen.
And now I know that I officially wouldn't like to be mute, even though I love writing. Just because most people are really impatient and so now I feel really cut off. Anyways, I have to get ready to go to my Calculus discussion class here in a few minutes. This could get interesting.
By the way, 98 days (14 weeks, exactly) until I go home!

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad! I hope things went well for you, and you're feeling better now. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nadea, things are okay for now, and my voice is slightly returned to me. I'd like to know where it went on me though.........

    Linden

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...