Wednesday 25 March 2009

Classics, Books, and the Homeschooled Monster

I went to the library on Monday before some training, because I was going to pick up two books that had been suggested to me. One was Animal Farm and the other was Name of the Wind. Now, one was suggested by Mum, and the other by an old friend of mine. Just to show my mastery of the theory of multiplication, I went in for two books. And came out with four. Yeah- multiplication only makes sense to me with books. Go figure.
Well, as you know, I read Animal Farm on Tuesday, and so, on my way back to night two of training, I stopped by the library again and dropped it off and spent a little time there looking up more books for me to read or study. Well, the librarian just looked at me, "Oh, you figured you didn't have enough time to read this?"
"Oh, no! I finished it. It's very short and easy."
"But, this is a classic... no one reads classics that fast."
"Um... me and my parents did. And my friends probably could."
The second librarian looked over, "Oh, don't worry about her... she was homeschooled."
Apparently, that was the explanation of my reading. Contented, I looked up a few titles, and located them for future reference. My aforementioned friend's father came in and talked with me for a little bit (and no, I didn't bite anyone's head off for talking in the library, however tempted I may have been...) but he left after a few minutes. As I was wrapping up, and put my notes into my purse, I noticed a little girl was staring at me.
"I heard you at the counter... about books..."
"I'm sorry if I was loud." I apologized.
"No, I was trying to listen. You really read those things... classies?"
"Classics? Yes... why?"
"Homeschoolers are... like monsters, aren't they? They like doing painful stuff... like cramping their heads?"
Jhaniel- you must know how much I wanted to tell her that I was a homeschooled monster. Instead, I was a good person.
"No, honey, I'm not a monster. I'm just as human as you. You can grow up to be really smart and read classics too."
"Naw... I go to public school... non-homeschoolers' heads would just explode." She walked off.
Yeah, I have been mulling over this conversation for the last day. I didn't even tell my parents. At first, I just thought it was very funny. Now, I feel sad, a little girl, who really did seem to like the books she was surrounded by, feeling unable to read anything that was called a classic.
But now that I've written this, and thought about it quite a bit, I just feel more invigorated about my Book-Revolution I proposed about two weeks ago.

3 comments:

  1. I always wondered if you were homeschooled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saminda: it's very common in Alaska, and my parents have homeschooled me my whole life. (Which makes the thought of college all the more exciting, a completely new experience!)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...