Tuesday 24 March 2009

A better life...

"Reading out the figures in a shrill, rapid voice, he proved to them in detail that they had more oats, more hay, more turnips than they had had in Jones's day, that they worked shorter hours, that their drinking water was of better quality, that they lived longer, that a larger proportion of their young ones survived infancy, and that they had more straw in their stalls and suffered less from fleas. The animals believed every word of it. Truth to tell, Jones and all he stood for had almost faded out of their memories. They knew tht life nowadays was harsh and bare, that they were often hungry and often cold, and that they were usually working when they were not asleep. But doubtless it had been worse in the old days. They were glad to believe so. Besides, in those days they had been slaves and now they were free, and that made all the difference, as Squealer did not fail to point out."


--George Orwell, The Animal Farm

I read this book this afternoon, it was excellent. I'd highly suggest it to anyone in America right now. And anyone else who wants to see what life could be like in our world.

2 comments:

  1. You read it this afternoon? As in the whole book??? Aaggghh, I just want more time to read!! I'm lost in a very addictive wonderful novel at the moment, and desperate for more hours in the day- just want to find out what's going to happen! Maybe I should get off the computer......;)
    stuart says he loved Animal Farm, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saminda: it's a short book, and I'm a fast reader. I love being lost in my books... it's a wonderful place! Oh, and if you notice, I did add more to this quote...
    ~Linden

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...