Friday 22 August 2008

A Berry Day

Today, I made a very important discovery: the raspberries were at last ripe! So ripe, that I actually lost a lot because they were dropping off the stems before I could pick them.
So Tink and I went into gear and began to pick them. Here is Tink's collection, which isn't too bad, considering this was her first time and she was learning to tell the difference betwixt ready and unripe berries.

Here I am, showing my half-full bowl of delicious berries. Of course, I ate them liberally too, so my bowl could have been much fuller. Oh well, there's still a lot in there aside from the ones which I so voraciously devour.

Note to self: do not get the prickles embedded in fingers, as it will generally hurt and be highly difficult to remove. But at least my arms are protected. And my bowl too... no little fingers (mine or Tink's) snitching the contents during this photo!

Yes - I let her get the ones closest to the ground. Reason number one, they're closer to her level and so she won't have to reach up to far. Oh yeah, and I won't have to bend down and then wonder how I'm going to get up again!

This is my bowl, after it had been hit hard by me. I can't help it: fresh raspberries have to be one of the best things of late summer/early autumn. I'm looking forward to picking more in the days to come!

Photo credits to Mum today, who found out that she can too take good pictures with Dad's camera! Hopefully she won't be so against taking pictures in the future!

Raspberry patches forever...

1 comment:

  1. Hello Laura, from far-off Australia......

    as you approach autumn and winter, we approach spring and summer!!

    I have been reading your blog for awhile now. There is something pure and lovely, and free-ing about reading it. You remind me in many ways of who I was 5 or 10 years ago, before I got married and had my children. I was young, carefree, single..... a writer, dreamer, and musician like yourself! Only I have given up in a sense many of those things as I have entered into the season of raising my family. I still sing, but only really to the little ones at bedtime or praising God in church on a Sunday morning. I was especially interested to read about the orchestra you are a part of. How wonderful! :) Have you had a great season?
    I play the flute and piano (though not brilliantly), and sing. I also love the theatre and perform whenever I get the chance.
    My husband introduced me to Lewis and Tolkien, and we have enjoyed many of their novels togther- none more so than Lord of the Rings. So I appreciate your style and shared interest in their writings very much!
    Your home and family life looks wonderful; unique and so very different from mine here in Queensland. The raspberries are absolutely beautiful, and I just adore that last photo in sepia! What a treasure. :)

    I challenge you with a parting phrase (can you work this out?)..
    "Elen síla lumenn' omentielvo" :)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...