Monday 30 November 2009

From Elf to Pixie

So, for the last two months, I've been plagued with migraines- some terrible, and some light enough to allow me to function like they weren't really there. I've tried everything- washing things without scents, non-scented soaps and shampoos, vacuuming and dusting till all little bunnies ran away, walking, no coffee (which made things worse), and everything that I'd learned from that study I did back in senior year of highschool.

Nothing helped. I tried different ways of wearing my hair, which sometimes alleviated the stress on my head for a little while. But still, no go. I talked to the doctor, and after we tried a few pain killers and other stuff, he simply told me that perhaps it was time to chop off my hair.


Sunday night, I remarked to my friend Joia that I should cut my hair off. She just looked at me. "If you want, I could do it for you..."


"I'll have to tell my mom." Next thing I knew, I was calling her. She said okay. I told Joia. Well, we had already agreed to get together to eat rice at five this afternoon.


"I'll bring scissors. How much?"

"I think I want to donate. So, like a foot?"


Well, it ended up a little over that. Thirteen inches, in the longer part, a little over twelve inches in the shorter sections. And then of course, the trimmings to make it look even.

I really like it though!!! As I get a few more photos tomorrow, I'll show you how it really looks.

And sorry, my hair's not really this dark! All lights but my desk lamp and computer were turned off when I took this photo, and the flash was being silly. And the kitchen light is notoriously dark, I've had people assume that I have dark brown hair when they've met me in there, and half the lights in there aren't working right now.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE it Laura!! It suits you so much! I bet you keep on running your fingers through it. :) I know I did that, for days. Nay, weeks!
    If your Mother's anything like mine, she'll tell you you look all grown up now! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It'll definitely take some getting used to, but it's cute! Your new look is reminding me very strongly of someone, but I can't remember who right now. Don't worry, I'll remember later when I'm less tired.

    Hope this helps chase the migraines away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mythopoeia- you know, I thought the same thing! Only, one of the girls on my floor said I looked like a blonde version of Aman's mother from Kal Ho Naa Ho. So now I have that stuck in my head. ^_^
    Saminda- I am doing that!!! It's so much fun. And yes, Mum did say that I now look older and more grown-up. It's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the Short-Hair Club, Laura . . . I've been a member all my life. xD Of course, you don't resemble Ann Coulter as much now, but that's okay. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. W H O A
    You are not going to believe this, but I had the Mr hack mine off too (on thanksgiving no less!) I wanted him to cut off 12, he cut off 17 inches. Didn't bother with evening it up though, it kinda resembles my inner anguish right now.

    But, what inquiring minds want to know: is it helping with the headaches??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rivka- why thank you!
    Annie- Are you going to have someone even it out soon then? And yes, it is helping with my headache. I've barely noticed it all this week. Just really late at night, when I should go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Naw. It's too short already, if I lose any more length I'll be unable to pull it back out of my face (a must at this time of year.) When it grows out a little, then I will do it.

    I'm glad your head is feeling better! It's amazing the difference a haircut will make.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...