Tuesday 2 June 2009

I'd cry too...

The other day, I was given the job of staking up some mallow plants at work. These are about a foot and a half tall, and were flopping all over the place.

Dr. Wallace, the local college's math teacher, happened to be shopping nearby. She is a very nice, friendly person who is an excellent teacher as well and I like her very much. Also nearby was a little boy, around six years old.

"What are you doing?" asked the little boy as he saw me staking the plants and tying them up.

Before I could answer, Dr. Wallace informed him that I was "correcting the planar existence of the plants which had been exponentially falling due to factors of pressure and water mass and weight-bearing crushing the numerical resistence of the stalks."

"What is all that?" he asked.

"Oh, math. Don't worry, you'll learn it when you go to school." She smiled at him.

The little boy looked at her, then at me, then turned and ran towards the door. "MOMMY! I don't wanna go to school this fall! You can't make me! I don't want to learn math! Can't I stay with coloring!!!"

I have to say, if anyone had told me when I was six all that stuff, I'd have cried too.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I think I share his sentiments entirely. Why do I have to learn MORE math in college? Can't I just spend four years learning Greek? *sob*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is SO sad! One more good reason for home schooling, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha, I laugh even as I sympathize. I sometimes wonder if my life would have turned out better if I had been allowed to just stick with coloring and ignore math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would've gone the opposite direction--I would've been "I'm going to be so brilliant when I start going to school...I'm going to RULE THE WORLD."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, that is so funny!!! :) I have to show this to Stuart......

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...