Friday 26 June 2009

I Really Am Just Eighteen

Okay, the local librarians seem to have a running commentary on my tastes in books and music.
Imagine me, in my short time before going into work, stopping by the library to pick up a book, Animal Farm, for my brother, and three CDs I want to listen to. One is a Gordon Lightfoot (and only wanted because there is one track I haven't found anywhere else...) and the second is the Fiddler on the Roof soundtrack and the third a compilation of Simon and Garfunkel. No one who knows me would really be surprised at this mixture.
Librarian: So... with this mixture, what exactly do you like? I mean... there is no defining characteristic.
Me: Well, I just like them all.
Teenager getting checked out next to me: Simon and Garwhody? Who are they???
Me: Simon and Garfunkel. One of the best musical duos ever! They were really big... well, about fourty years ago.
Teen: I've never heard of them. They certainly aren't big now.
Me: Well, no. I guess not.
Librarian: Yeah, either you have really odd taste in things, namely, really old tastes... or... what age defying, youthful appearance medications are you on? 'Cause they're really working!

That's right folks. I'm actually my mother's age. Of course.
One day, perhaps, I'll meet someone my age (other than Jhaniel and Andromanche) who thinks that Simon and Garfunkel are amazing and actually know their music well. I can dream, can't I?
Or... will I just have to settle for explaining that I have amazing age-defying meds?

5 comments:

  1. Oh, dear. Sounds like we're in the same boat. ^^ There was a girl in my Greek and Roman lit class who loved S+G, though, and I think she was actually *younger* than we are. Myself, I don't know that much about them, but I heard "I Am a Rock" on the radio once and liked it. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be funny to tell people you're 50, and "make up" some story about using some concoction that contains moose poop to retain your youthful appearance. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmmm, both the teen and the librarian may need to mind their own business, I think!! I personally LOVE your taste in music. :) But you already know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rivka... you should look up more of their songs. You'd like Sparrow, methinks. :) That and Leaves That Are Green. Oooh! And Sounds of Silence... let's just say, I think you'd really like them.
    Mama- that's just... scary. Mum and I like going natural... but that might even take it a bit far. :P I just say my youthful spirit keeps me young.
    Saminda: I don't mind the librarian so much, she and I have an old repartee going, and I'm quite used it. And I like your taste in music too! :) Kindred Spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My vote goes towards telling folks that you age backwards like Merlin.

    But anyways. I hope that teenager was inspired to go look up S&G later; music today, on a whole, just ain't music at all. The same could go for books and films and clothing and ethics . . . sigh.

    I'm older than my mother. My tastes go back further than hers, heh heh heh :)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...