Saturday 17 April 2010

Music of the North

What do I do when I'm sick and not feeling like leaving my room? Well, I read, write and listen to music, of course! In the course of the day, I discovered the existence of the bukkehorn. What is that?

Well, it's a type of instrument from Norway. And that's about all I know of it. I originally linked to it because I was listening to a piece by Tveitt, and one of the comments mentioned that the folk-piece he was using was meant for something called the bukkehorn.

And then I heard this:



So, I got hooked into listening to a lot more clips of this gorgeous instrument. I'm guessing it's some sort of goat's horn used to make the instrument, like a cross of a flute and a horn. Also, this music doesn't sound like it'd be too hard to figure out by ear, so I may have something to work on with my fiddle. I miss fiddle music, but have found myself bored with straight classical and even celtic fiddle recently.

2 comments:

  1. wow, i really love the sound of that instrument. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very lovely.... I wish I could have one to play... one day. :-)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...