Monday 29 December 2008

Sunday with the Russians

Sunday morning... the thermometer read -20 Fahrenheit. Yes. that's cold. -28.8888888888889 Celsius. Simply put, it was freezing cold outside and sparkling clear with about a foot and a half of snow. I haven't worn so many layers of clothes since... last year. 
We returned to the Orthodox church with the whole family this time. The church is on a bluff that over-looks the inlet, so the wind there was biting cold. The service was beautiful (they had lots of candles and that makes me happy) and I loved all the singing. However, I ended up having to sit for the last part because I was cold and shaky. That didn't bother me though, and after the service, we were invited to the Old Fort for lunch with the congregation. 
That was a lot of fun, and we talked with a woman who is currently building a prayer chapel. She had an interesting life story, and I enjoyed it very much. Afterwards, we talked with the priest a little about incense and some other things. All in all, it was a wonderful visit, and very unusual compared to most western styled church services. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!!!!!! That is so unbelievably cold- I cannot even begin to imagine! The coldest I have ever been in is about -2 degrees celcius, but usually here in the winter it gets down to a minimum of about 4 degrees celcius.
    Your life fascinates me..... thankyou for sharing, what a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Orthodoxy is so much a part of Alaska! I grew up in a Western (Protestant) church, but have since converted to Orthodoxy. It is a wonderful, and often challenging journey, but one that is definitely transforming.

    By the way, my understanding is that those on the old calendar (Julian) often celebrate two Christmases. Just not officially...

    Christ is Born! Glorify Him!

    From one Alaskan to another =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saminda: -2 Celsius would be welcomed right now. Heat wave! But, you are in a much warmer place than I, and one day, I hope to be somewhere else, serving God. ;)
    You life fascinates me as well, it's so very different in many ways from my own. I'm glad that you share it, and I'm glad you enjoy reading about mine!

    Aelwyn: I've actually been a reader of your blog for some time now, and am excited to hear from you.
    All my life, here in Alaska, I have been surrounded by the Orthodox, and seen their influence on our history, which has interested me greatly. My brother is currently a catechumen at an Orthodox mission near his school in Colorado, and has told me much about it. I am considering and praying about becoming one myself.
    The priest at Kenai explained that those on the Julian calendar celebrated Christmas with everyone else, and the Julian Christmas in the church, or something like that. So, in a way, two Christmases. I'd like that.
    Yes, Christ is born indeed! All glory to Him!
    Blessings from this Alaskan to you!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, my brother joined the Church before I did. I was chrismated at Holy Cross Orthodox Church in Maryland by Fr. Gregory Mathewes-Green. His wife, Frederica, has a lot of great books on Orthodoxy. You probably know that already with your brother being a catechumen. He has a great name, btw. However, whenever I read it, a certain line goes through my head..."In my previous book, Theopholis..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you are down in Kenai? We are in Wasilla.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aelwyn: Actually, before my brother became a catechumen, we found out about Frederica's books. Her writings have been very much a part of our journey. My brother, when I began blogging, just asked that I give him a name with meaning, and one from the Bible. So, the day I began blogging, my reading was "In my previous book, Theophilus" and I told him that he was named. :)
    Yes, we are near to Kenai! You are from our Governor's town! That must be very interesting.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...