Tuesday 2 December 2008

I'm Alive

Jhaniel wrote that my quiet, reflective posts made her feel better when she was getting down. Well, she returned the favour with her post yesterday - I needed that.
I should start out, yes I am alive. Thank God, I'm still here. That could have been changed yesterday.
Don't worry, I'm not even hurt (beyond the bruise on my knee) or anything. And considering that I could have, in the words of a friend, been a raisin in a crushed coke can; I'd say I got off remarkably well. Okay, no more meandering.
I was driving down a very icy, nasty road to get to my piano teacher's house. All last week, it'd been fairly warm out, and then yesterday, it got cold and everything was slick and really not the nicest conditions. But, I was going about fifteen under the speed limit, and that was doing me fine. When I was still quite a ways off, I decided to start braking, even though normally I'd have waited. But, I didn't want to take any chances, and Dad and I had a discussion the day before about me needing to give myself more time to brake the car. The brakes didn't exactly like it, but I was slowed down to fifteen miles an hour and about to turn.
That's when I realised that the semi-truck that had been a long way behind me was now a few feet from my back and not slowing down. Adrenaline took over and I decided I'd rather ditch the car than get smashed by a semi. I turned right then.
And my brakes froze.
And my 4x4 kicked off.
And what do you know? My tires spun out on the ice.
I missed the road and went down into the fifteen foot ditch, which had about two or so feet of snow. It seemed like the car was going to over-turn when a couple trees stopped me on the passenger side. I began praying right then, and didn't stop. No one stopped to help me, the semi continued on - for all I know, he doesn't know I ditched. Somehow or another, I got the car out of that ditch. When I got to my teacher's house, I was extremely shaken up. However, I wasn't hurt, minus the fact that when I ditched, my right leg had smashed itself into the area where the CD player/heat controls are. But the side of the car looked terrible. There were several big dents in it, and the doors now don't work properly. But it still works, although not quite as well as one would like. Thankfully, my teacher has a large store of tea and got me calmed down.
So, yes, I'm alive, and very grateful for Jhaniel giving me a calm, peaceful post to read. Thank you, my dear friend. Oh, and be glad you don't have ice in Hawaii.
Somewhat surprisingly, I'm not afraid of driving even. Not even in my battle-scarred car.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's terrifying. I am very glad that you survived so well! Semi trucks are terrifying, I'd probably have done the same thing. And yes, I suppose I can be grateful that there is no severe ice in Hawaii; the roads get slippery only in the huge rainstorms.

    You be careful up there in the North!

    (And merry 22 days 'til Christmas!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never was terrified of semi-trucks before. I now have a very healthy respect for them. Very very healthy.
    I'll be safe, or at least try to be!
    Merry Almost-Christmas!!!
    <3
    -Linden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura,
    Oh my goodness! What a scary experience! Praise God you are okay.
    I can't imagine driving on ice..... especially in the current temperatures we're having. :) GLad you're safe and well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I think that was my best prayer-time I've had. I'm slightly jealous of the weather that Australia and New Zealand have right now. I mean, we have ice and you have sun. Not fair. I'll try to stay safe now. :) And tell Elijah that I'll go throw a few snowballs for him today, if he'd like!

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...