Tuesday 4 August 2009

The Confessions of the Egotistical Autodidact

So, for the longest time, I've reserved a notebook to carry with me everywhere. I don't remember when I first came up with the idea. But the basics was to always have a notebook with me, and a pen. Then I was free to jot down any scraps of poetry or observations, as well as what I was doing, or what had happened, or something someone said that I wanted to remember. To all this, I added quotes from whatever book I was reading, and then thoughts about the quotes, or what the author was talking about, and if I agreed with him, or where I differed, or what I did or did not like about the book.
Anyways, I thought I was quite sharp for coming up with this nifty idea to help my already autodidactical habits.
Before I go off to school and more study, Mum suggested that I read a few books she had about how to get the most out of books, and the methods of classical education. I started The Well-Educated Mind, by Susan Wise Bauer, this afternoon, and found that in the third chapter, the author mentions how Commonplace Books could be handy and had been used for hundreds of (possibly nearly two thousand) years to help readers digest and analyze books, and go towards the process of rhetoric (forming one's own opinion based on the analysis, whether in agreeing, or disagreeing, with the author). Well, in explaining Commonplace Books I found that she was talking about my nifty little idea of the notebook that I carry with me everywhere.
At first I was a little disappointed to find that I wasn't exactly the first one to have done this.
Then I realised that I was in company with E.M. Forester and Thomas Jefferson and decided that wasn't such a bad lot, and am happy that at least I was approaching reading and learning from the right angle.
It was just a bit of a hard hit for my egotistical autodidact...

4 comments:

  1. Ah, now I get the facebook status!
    How is that book by the way? It has been recommended to me in terms of homeschooling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book is very good! I'd highly suggest it to you. :) (And yes, I guess I was rather obscure on facebook about this...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, can I ask a big favour? I am feeling a bit overwhelmed / confused at the moment with homeschooling, and just wondered- would you share your thoughts? Specifically I would love to know your positive/ negative memories and experiences of it; "how" your Mum did things with you; when she expected you to do formal work; how much freedom you had in deciding how you would spend your time, etc. Saraya does love to learn, but after 18 months of being at school she is OVER bookwork already (grrr, I knew this would happen too!!)- at the moment I'm taking quite a laid-back approach but wonder about her handwriting slipping, etc etc. as she now mostly wishes to play. Which is also valuable, I know.
    I'm sorry, I know you are busy- but I would really value your opinions/ thoughts. And your Mum's too, if she's willing!!
    Love, Saminda xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought all writers did this . . .
    Oh well! I should check up on this book anyway; maybe I can use it as an argument against my family, who often insist that I LEAVE THE NOTEBOOK IN THE CAR/AT HOME when we go out places, haha.

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...