Wednesday 10 August 2011

Things I Love About August

The raspberries have ripened in the last three days. For some reason, they always taste best when eat three seconds after you pluck them. Any ideas why that is?

So today, since my brother is home and I didn't have work and refuse to leave the house, I made my traditional summer cobbler. This time, it was with fresh raspberries and rhubarb from our front patch. It smells absolutely delicious as it is currently cooling on the counter.

Mum is making halusky- my brother's favourite Slovak meal of mostly potatoes, cabbage, cheese and bacon. Sounds like a boy's dream meal, doesn't it?

A neighbour called as her garden is doing so well that she and her husband couldn't possibly use all the plants that they have. After skipping across the road, I became the grateful recipient of a canvas bag full of collard greens and turnip tops, plus another bag of bok choy greens. This makes me incredibly happy; it means lovely breakfasts (or rather early dinners/snacks when I return home from work the next few days) of fried greens and hopefully eggs and buttered toast and bacon. 

The sun was out- a rare occurrence for August in Alaska, but welcome anyways. It hasn't rained all day, and promises to continue that most welcome of trends. I walked about three miles or so this morning, waltzing with butterflies and dragonflies and twirling with the autumn flowers in the wind. The leaves are still green, so I was unable to dance with them as well. But the trees swayed and sang to me anyways, and I found I could walk a mile in 12 minutes- a new record for a leisurely walk for me. Later in the afternoon, I walked up to check our mail, and returned by a route through the field: it hasn't been mowed yet, so the grass was up to above my waist. 

If only more days could be like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...