Saturday 9 July 2011

Knit One, Breathe One, Knit Two Together

It's been a week. A long week, it seems, at least to me. I've been working, which is nice, and knitting, which is wonderful.

It's been a week of sorting out ideas of how to make it through the next year. What to do with the time that I'm not in school. What do I need to save for, and what is important to me. Whether or not to look for a new vehicle with better mileage. Whether or not to throw away those random things I've kept for years in my desk or closet. Whether or not to rip out seven inches of knitting on a hat to redo the brim because I'm not sure I like the way my pattern is turning out. (Well, that's my own fault, I chose to not follow a written pattern and make it off the cuff.)

Okay, so maybe that last one isn't so drastically important. But right now, it's just one of those things that keeps me going through my time of questioning everything in my life. Examining to find what I really need, what I want, where I'm going with it all. I'm young, and where I steer myself now will largely decide my future.

Knitting helps when I feel overwhelmed. When I'm tired. When I need to stop thinking of all the huge things that I really don't have much control over at this point in time.

What helps you get through times like these? (Or, maybe the question I should ask really ought to be: does anyone else ever have these times, or is it just me?)

2 comments:

  1. I just immerse my self in Needle felting. I so love your quote from
    "Shadowlands" it is one of the movies that is on my self, and the dust never seems to settle on it.

    I realize now at 57, that "I am meant to be doing what I am meant to be doing" if things are quiet today, they are meant be quiet,if everything is messy and unsettled, it is for a reason, just go with it.

    cheers Marie

    cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I ever feel overwhelmed? tired? can't stop thinking (obsessing) over the huge things that I have no control over?

    YES!!!

    Add on that the emotional pain, regrets, and things I wish I'd done/ said differently (the "woulda shoulda couldas".)

    What do I do? Pray, read the Bible (or quote memorized verses), listen to calming music (Ann Voskamp's blog has calmed me down enough to sleep on many occasions.) (Also reading her blog, the encouraging posts.) Sometimes it's just so bad that I "escape" to Narnia by watching the DVDs. Sometimes just listening to the soundtrack helps. (I have you tube play lists for the soundtracks that have been well-worn.)

    Knitting might help me, but it takes time to do it and usually I am trying to do something else, so the music helps a lot.

    Many nights I fall asleep rehearsing the Bible verses I've memorized (or am trying to memorize.)

    Yeah, I get this. . . hang on Sister. These times are hard and long but don't last forever. <3

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...