Tuesday 23 November 2010

Of Virgules in the Time of Commas

I'm done with Communications, for all it's worth. I gave my final speech on punctuation. And got an A. From a teacher who practically never gives out As.

But I assumed that all my classmates would fall asleep; after all, not many people actually care about punctuation, much less about the history of how punctuation came to be.

Like this \, called a virgule, is the original mark. It was the only mark for hundreds of years. Then along came Aldus Manutius and the Printing Press. Viola! All the other punctuation marks come along. (Courtesy of Manutius and Sons.)

And he invented italic print to boot. Gosh, I love that man. He also came up with the smaller style of books which are the precursors of the modern format.

After class, everyone said it was very interesting, and no one fell asleep.

I feel so accomplished. And a lot better about not having quite so much stuff to do as far as homework is concerned.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! See, I knew you would do fabulously. And I never heard of Manutius before, so now I've learned something too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew about the italic print but not the book format. Way cool ... and, of course, interesting for nerdy people who love books :)

    ReplyDelete

What thoughts do you have for me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...